Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mama Mia! Bucatini all' Amatriciana

My Dad has gotten onto me lately for not cooking enough Italian food, since his side of the family is Italian. My favorite Italian pasta dish is Bucatini all' Amatriciana, which is Bucatini pasta with pancetta (Italian bacon) and tomatoes. If you have an Italian market close to where you live, like I do in Atlanta (E. 48th St Market in Dunwoody), then I would buy the pancetta, grated pecorino Romano, and a can of Cento Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes (I think the can is 1 lb and 14 oz).

Serves: 4

Ingredients: 
12 oz bucatini or thick spaghetti (I usually just make a lb of pasta)
14 oz peeled ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
4 oz pancetta or guanciale (pig's cheek)
minced chili pepper to taste
olive oil
salt and pepper
grated pecorino Romano

1. Finely chop the pancetta and sauté in a skillet with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. When it starts to brown, add the tomatoes.  Season with salt and pepper, add the chili pepper and cook over high heat for about 10 minutes. 
(I usually cover the pan so the sauce will thicken a bit. Also, stir the sauce occasionally.)
3. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.  Drain and add to the sauce.
4. Add some pecorino and toss. Serve with additional pecorino on top of the bucatini or on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment