Monday, July 8, 2013

"Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake... It's Not Even My Birthday"

"Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake... It's Not Even My Birthday."  I was just listening to Rihanna's song "Birthday Cake," and realized I haven't posted a recipe on my blog today. Today's recipe is Martha Stewart's Yellow Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache Icing. I made this cake and icing for my boyfriend's 28th birthday. I decorated the sides with dark chocolate chips and had enough left to spell out "28" in the center of the cake.


Tip: Don't leave the cakes in the pan for too long, or you will have trouble getting them out. I learned this one the hard way because I went to go do last minute errands and shop the after Christmas sales, and I left the cake in the cake pans on the cooling rack. As a result, I had to remake the top layer since the bottom of the cake stuck to the pan. I didn't line my pans with parchment because I had high quality cake pans.  I suggest cutting a circular piece of parchment to line the cake pans.



Martha Stewart's Yellow Cake

Yield: 3 cups
Batter: For 1 8 in cake
Bake time: 45-50 mins







Ingredients:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter softened, plus more for pan/parchment
1-1/3 cups cake flour sifted, plus more for pan/parchment
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk

Materials:
Parchment Paper 
Cooling Rack
Electric Mixer
Large Mixing Bowl
Medium Mixing Bowl
Toothpick 
Measuring cups/spoons
Sifter

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Butter 8 in. cake pan, line the bottom with a round of parchment and butter & flour pan/parchment.
In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy, about 5 mins. 
Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt three times.
Add to egg mixture in 3 additions alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour.
Pour batter into pan & bake until the top is golden brown, and a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
Cool in pan for 10-30 minutes.
Turn out onto a wire rack, remove paper and cool completely.

**Make Cake Recipe twice or double ingredients to save time.


Dark Chocolate Ganache Icing

Yield: 3-1/2 cups

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 pound bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped

Materials:
Measuring cups/spoons
Wooden spoon
Whisk
Large saucepan
Cake knife to spread icing (flat knife that's not sharp. Like a cheese knife but longer and flatter)
Spoon to spread icing on cake

In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups heavy cream, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, & 1/8 teaspoon salt to a boil.
Remove from heat; add 1 pound bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped (I used bittersweet chocolate chips, which works well too), and let stand without stirring for a minute.
Whisk just until combined.
Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until spreadable, about 1 hour.

** Ganache gets hard when left out when you are icing the cake. Constantly stir icing, so it won't solidify.

No comments:

Post a Comment