Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Panera's Stove Top Mac N' Cheese

This will be my last post till next Sunday, since I am going out of town on holiday for July 4th. Sunday I will be posting about "Shopping at Your Local Farmers' Market" so don't miss out.

Who doesn't love a good Macaroni and Cheese? I think it was my go to food when I was little. I'm pretty sure I made it a food group.... and no I'm not kidding-- that's how much I ate it. Panera serves a mac n' cheese that's to die for. It's made with white cheddar and white american cheese, which is very flavorful and delicious. I found a recipe that is a copy cat recipe. Trust me, you won't be disappointed when you make it.


Ingredients:
16 oz (1 lb) pipette pasta or other small pasta shapes
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 oz white american cheese chopped or torn into pieces
2 teaspoons-1 teaspoon dijon mustard (adjust to taste)
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (like Frank's)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2-1/2 cups milk, heavy cream, or half & half
8 oz extra sharp white Vermont cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Materials:
Large stock pot
4 quart sauce pan
Wooden spoon
Cheese Shredder 
Measuring cups/spoons
Serving spoon

1) In a large stock pot, cook pasta according to package directions, drain well.
2) While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat.  When the butter has melted & has started to bubble, whisk in the flour, cook for 1-1/2  minutes whisking constantly.  Gradually whisk in the milk until no lumps remain.  Reduce to medium-low & cook  milk mixture, whisking frequently, until it thickens & bubbles, about 8 mins.
3)Remove saucepan from the heat & by the handful, stir in the cheese allowing all of the cheese to melt into the sauce before adding more.  Stir in the mustard, salt, & hot sauce.  Return the saucepan to the heat & stir in the pasta.  Be sure to stir up the sauce from the bottom of the saucepan & thoroughly coat all of the pasta with sauce.  Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat until heated through.  Serve hot in bowls with spoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment